Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mother Courage and Her Childern Analysis


This is my analysis for the play, Mother Courage and Her Childern,  my objective is to disseminate the knowledge that i have gain to my fellow peers. 

The theatrical , Mother Courage and Her Childern, display the struggle of living during 1624 of the Thirty Years War. This infamous mother of three gives the virtues of bravery, honesty, kindness and wisdom, respectively, Eilif, Swiss Cheese, Kattrin, and Mother Courage. Where Eilif joins the war, Swiss Cheese wanting to return the money, Kattrin saving the baby from the house, and Mother Courage experience throughout her life. However, even with her critical pedagogy from her own experience, her children will be an exchange for her selfishness during the war. This is due to her encouragement of the war and the promoting of mother Courage’s business. Also the whole play revolves around the idea of profiting from the war and thus becoming the major folly for Courage.
The protagonist of the theater was mother courage and her motivation throughout the war was make money and survival. The antagonist was the Thirty Year War, yet the motivation of it was to turn man into an inhuman monster. The conflict that was place upon Mother Courage and the war was that it turned her into a despicable mother. Such as, trading her wagon to save her son, Swiss Cheese, life or when Kattrin dies, she just continues on her journey for money. This demonstrates that the war has set mother courage values to only survival and that no sacrifice will end the war or herself.  Furthermore, I see the repeat of the theme where war is contributed into business.  To me, I agree with the theme but I do not agree with the sacrifices, thus it is essential to earn money for a living and to feed the children. But Mother Courage should of care more for her children than herself, which she did not so all her children ended up dead. I believed that If she would not been so greedy of money or even learn her mistakes after Swiss Cheese dies, there would have been hope for her last daughter. Therefore, the war indirectly took her flesh as payment for being egocentric.
When the play first started with the singing, it shocked me. This gave me the feeling of the older generation. The costume, music, and light also had their huge affects towards the understanding of the play. I believe that the whole choreograph and directing made me never flaunter away from the stage. Especially, Mother Courage, she was the most influential actor on stage. I was fascinated by the way she memorized and empresses her lines. I can feel the passion she hold for money and the war. The actress expression, clothing, and voice; really help feature the properties of a business women that strives to survive.  I least intriguing actor was Kattrin, yet I did not see the emotion that was supposed to be exerted from her. The facial feature that was demonstrated throughout the play felt raw. She did not give enough to me on the characteristic of being stupid. This is because Kattrin is mute and the only skills that will be portrayed to the audience are her movements and expression. An example for this is when she runs into the burning house to save the baby. She gave an expression of dignity and courage, which she is not suppose to have. I know that throughout the play she gains that value, but her whole individuality will never lose that outlook. Instead of petting the baby like a doll and give a characteristic as if she is compared to the baby. She holds it with a care of a mother, which Mother Courage never shows throughout the play. Therefore, the theater is fixed to an array in which the only important elements to reality are survival of the fittest and money.
            The stage design helped integrate and intensify the period during the Thirty Year War. An example of it is when Mother Courage sells her chicken to the cook and next to them is a wooden divider that separated the kitchen from the dinner. Since I sat in the front row, I can identify the wooden crate being used as a table and the barrels used as chairs. With these objects used as tableware, I can distinguish the lack of money within the period of war and the owner of the dinner having to use their own imagination to create and conserve furniture. Furthermore, the outerwear of the performers wear gives a great effect of the generation, since our generation of women is popular to wear jeans instead of skirts or dress. The prostitute, Yvette, is a great example to the clothing difference and maquillage. Since her attires are based on a dress and the cosmetics that were worn are heavier than my generation. Nevertheless, the stereotypical characteristics of a prostitute in my generation are body exposing clothes.  This also gives a hint that the women in that generation are more protective of themselves than the generation now. Since we also see Yvette dating a veteran solider and the way she flirts to maintain his attention instead of just letting him have his way with her. To conclude, this production’s setting and the accouterment that was worn throughout gave the perception of selfless individuality in protecting oneself.
            Near the closing scene of the play, the cook sings outside for dinner and Mother Courage is depressed because she is deprive of her belongings. He sings with the blue night and with the illumination, it flow with him a melodramatic mood. The desperate cook sings with the luminous blue glow and it give a symbolism of death and sorrow. Another aspects of light was that it helps narrates the actors movement or spotlight. Since I sit in the front, my eyes are usually wandering viciously to keep up with the performers. So when they are under their spotlight, it is easier for me to keep my perception on them. Nevertheless, when the stages light dim down to a cloudless color, I know that the performers onstage are rearranging the set and this gives me a heads up to disregard them for a brief moment. Furthermore, from time to time that I proceed with the play, a musical will appear. This is shown through countless actors from beginning to end. Where in the beginning, mother Courage is stop to present her identification and papers to sell. She then burst into a melody with her children on her personal profile and her profession. This gives me a brief fact on Mother Courage and the war that is going to be unfolding throughout the play. Then as the theater continues I can hear each of the singing performers’ tale and the emotions that were inside of them. This as well is giving me extra information of the characters that was not shown during the performance. Also I can hear the gun shot that was played repeatedly in the play. With the gun going off, I can feel as if I was part of the stage and being at the time of the war. Thus, the melody and illumination was actively carried on within the play, it can help intensify the understanding of the emotional presence of the playwright.
            In the beginning of the play, I felt as if the play was platitudinous after the chorus introduction. But I was mistaken and since the time Mother Courage had introduced herself and her children, it has become phenomenon. She has awed me with her performance and sensational memorization. Furthermore, each character that was presented along with Mother Courage had marvelously done their part. With the singing to dance and then onto the acting, this theatrical play was astonishing. I was glad I had bought tickets for the front row and was able to be an audience of a wondrous play. 

 Please do not plagiarize, since i have submitted this on turnitin.com. Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment